[Asterisk-Users] DTMF A-D

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Jan 20 13:28:20 MST 2004

> I've know about DTMF A-D for 20+ years now, but have never heard anyone
> mention it before, or use it, for that matter (except in old "silver
> boxing" in the bad ol' days).  Can you elaborate upon how you'd take
> advantage of DTMF A-D, how you'd produce the tones (are these standard
> now?), and what exactly you mean by "muting from the far-end"?

DTMF A-D is not normally available by normal people.  They're perfect for
ADSI phones to use to initiate some kind of command since they do not get
in the way of Joe's VoiceMail Service -- right now we seem to use * and # a
lot, but so does everyone else.  How do you "escape" these keys so that the
far end can detect and use them?  That's why I suggested using DTMF A-D to
control asterisk with ADSI.

I am fairly certain you can say Dial(Zap/1/D) and get the D tone....  I
think.  :-)  It's be trivial to do if not, but I'm not so much looking at *
to generate the tones as just detect them and have the ADSI phones generate
them.

Muting from the far end -- after reading it that way I think I see your
confusion.  :-)  What I'd meant was that *, upon "hearing" one of these
DTMF tones, mutes the channel so that the far end doesn't hear it, or
rather hears a very (under 1/10s) short burst of it.  It'd be both a
security feature and a just plain nice feature, since when I'm transferring
someone or calling up some feature on my ADSI phone while talking to
someone, I'd prefer not to blast them with DTMF.  :-)

Hopefully that clears up what I'd been talking about.  :-)

Regards,
Andrew