[Asterisk-Users] DTMF A-D

Ken Alker ken at impulse.net
Tue Jan 20 11:37:03 MST 2004

--On Monday, January 19, 2004 11:01 AM -0500 Andrew Kohlsmith
<akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com> wrote:

<SNIP'd from the "ADSI phone vs. IP phone" thread>

> I'm looking at ADSI phones simply because I don't have to re-tool my
> entire  building; I can use the existing phone network and (I think) get
> all the  functionality I need with the (far) cheaper ADSI phones.
>
> My basic ADSI functionality is
> - (assisted/consultative and blind) transfers
> - voicemail integration (next/prev/forward, MWI, etc.)
> - caller ID display
> - conference
> - hold/park/pickup
> - paging
> - handsfree
> - DND
> - global and per-extension speed dial
> - muting of DTMF A-D from the far-end

I've know about DTMF A-D for 20+ years now, but have never heard anyone
mention it before, or use it, for that matter (except in old "silver
boxing" in the bad ol' days).  Can you elaborate upon how you'd take
advantage of DTMF A-D, how you'd produce the tones (are these standard
now?), and what exactly you mean by "muting from the far-end"?