[Asterisk-Users] Power Over Ethernet for *any* ethernet switch (or hub); product idea

daryl at introspect.net daryl at introspect.net
Tue Jan 20 09:33:49 MST 2004

[...]
> Assume I have a non-POE switch with 24 RJ-45 (ethernet)
> ports.  I design a
> 1U box that can be mounted just above/below the non-POE
> switch, call it a
> "POEI" (POE inserter).  This box has 48 RJ-45 ports, 24
[...]
> Are POE switches expensive enough to warrant manufacturing
> above? If not, is there a case for not having to swap out all
> of ones existing
> switches?
[...]
Depends on what "expensive" means, and whether your switces are due for
replacemtn or not.  And what you intended to replace them with not
counting PoE.  The difference between Catalyst 2950-XL-24s and
3524-PRW-XL's is about $300.

The difference on a large Catalyst switch is about $5-10/port if I
recall correctly from my last deployment.

> Does something like this already exist for cheap?
Yes.  Several.

> If so, is it any good?
Yes.  Many work just fine.

> If so, does it need more features?
To do what?  It's called a mid-span power injector.  The ones I've seen
do that and nothing else.  I'd say they are living up to their task.

> If not, would you buy something like this?
> If so, what features have I missed?
> If so, what is it worth?
Google the rest of your answers.  You're about 6 years too late to catch
the first run of this train.

Daryl G. Jurbala
BMPC Network Operations
Tel (NY): +1 917 477 0468 x235