[Asterisk-Users] WANTED: Toll-Free gateways in Europe/Asia/Africa/South America

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Jan 20 08:20:24 MST 2004

>Looks like the list server is really lagging tonight.  I found out some
>more info so will just post it in a new email with the same subject.
>
>I added:  "search => freenum.org"   to enum.conf and got a match (SIP
>system) when doing the lookup !!!!  Maybe I overlooked that in the
>original instructions.
>
>Now will work on trying to get only IAX responses since SIP is rather
>problematic from behind the NAT router.  IAX should work fine.
>
>John, Thanks for the tips on debugging. It pointed me in the right direction.
>
>Robert

Robert -
   IAX as a protocol is completely dependent on the far-end gateway,
and not on any specifications you can change.  All the gateways at
the moment only support SIP; none support IAX or IAX2, though
hopefully that will change since some of them are actually running
Asterisk as the media gateway.

   As soon as they offer IAX in addition to SIP, then we'll also need
to re-examine the way that Asterisk handles ENUM lookups since
currently only one NAPTR is handed back to the dialplan.  For those
nations that have multiple gateways or providers, I have put all the
entries in a round-robin fashion so that the answers will be rotated
by most standard DNS resolver libraries.  However, this quickly
becomes unworkable with multiple responses with different protocols,
and there is already a "preference" factor built into NAPTR records
that should be accessible from the dialplan when an EnumLookup is
returned.

   Anyone want to take a swing at it?  Otmar?  :-)

JT