[Asterisk-Users] ADSI phone vs. IP phone

daryl at introspect.net daryl at introspect.net
Mon Jan 19 14:25:14 MST 2004

Probably because it's well known that these setups are prone to failure
of either the PC's connection, the phone's connection, or degredation of
one/both.  It also breaks switch envirenments where spanning-tree
portfast is enabled (not as big of a deal if the deployment is in
concert with the infrastructure group, as it should be).

Vendors should NEVER have implemented this functionality into phones
unless it was working under all conditions.  Personal experience shows
that it is most definitely not on Cisco and 3Com products.  Others have
told me their stories with other manufacturer's equipment.  None of it
was good.

It's not a production-stable way to deploy phones.  Period.

Daryl G. Jurbala
BMPC Network Operations
Tel (NY): +1 917 477 0468 x235
Tel (MI): +1 616 608 0004 x235