[Asterisk-Users] Residential services

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Jan 19 11:15:22 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 10:52, Jeremy Jones wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> The obligatory newbie disclaimer:
>
> "Hi, I'm new to Asterisk and I have a couple questions..."
>
> OK, now that that's over with:
>
> I've just started working for a small CLEC, and I'm trying to sell * to
> my boss as a replacement for some expensive/inflexible/closed-source
> software he's been using to provide residential dialtone with for a
> couple years now.  Presently, we have:
>
> 1) a cluster of sun boxes running propriatary IP-PBX software
> 2) a cisco 3640 h323 gatekeeper
> 3) a cisco as5300 pstn gateway
>
> I'd like to use sip between an asterisk box and that as5300 (which right
> now is only speaking h323), and I'd like to be able to use sip, h323,
> mgcp, or skinny for residential customers.  This ought to be no problem,
> right?  I'm coming up with pretty much nil on documentation regarding
> as5300 <-> asterisk configuration, however.  And, while I'm sure I could
> fumble through it for a couple days, I thought there just might be
> someone out there who has a working configuration using an as5300 as a
> pstn gateway with asterisk (either with sip, or with h323 via a cisco
> gatekeeper).

I may be wrong, but I think skinny requires you be local to the phone.
At least I wouldn't expect my 12sp+ to be very usable if it had to cross
a few routers.

> Now, regarding residential services in particular...
>
> The configuration files & examples I've found all assume a business
> environment, where you'd dial a 9 for outside lines.  Anyone have an
> example config where an endpoint gets dumped directly to the pstn when
> they pick up the phone?

The use of a 9 is to differentiate from a local extension. If you don't
need local extensions, then don't worry about that. Develop your
dialplan to accept all numbers and just do a account validation then
dial.