[Asterisk-Users] Residential services

Jeremy Jones jjones at westcomllc.com
Mon Jan 19 09:52:22 MST 2004

Hi folks,

The obligatory newbie disclaimer:

"Hi, I'm new to Asterisk and I have a couple questions..."

OK, now that that's over with:

I've just started working for a small CLEC, and I'm trying to sell * to
my boss as a replacement for some expensive/inflexible/closed-source
software he's been using to provide residential dialtone with for a
couple years now.  Presently, we have:

1) a cluster of sun boxes running propriatary IP-PBX software
2) a cisco 3640 h323 gatekeeper
3) a cisco as5300 pstn gateway

I'd like to use sip between an asterisk box and that as5300 (which right
now is only speaking h323), and I'd like to be able to use sip, h323,
mgcp, or skinny for residential customers.  This ought to be no problem,
right?  I'm coming up with pretty much nil on documentation regarding
as5300 <-> asterisk configuration, however.  And, while I'm sure I could
fumble through it for a couple days, I thought there just might be
someone out there who has a working configuration using an as5300 as a
pstn gateway with asterisk (either with sip, or with h323 via a cisco
gatekeeper).

Now, regarding residential services in particular...

The configuration files & examples I've found all assume a business
environment, where you'd dial a 9 for outside lines.  Anyone have an
example config where an endpoint gets dumped directly to the pstn when
they pick up the phone?

Thnaks,
Jeremy Jones