[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk over WAN

Fran Boon flavour at partyvibe.com
Fri Jan 16 10:08:10 MST 2004

Anderson Levi wrote:
> I'm new to Asterisk and I was wondering if the following setup can work.
> If it can how would I go about setting it up:
>
>   Phone------PBX------Asterisk Server------Cisco Router
>                                                                    | WAN
>   Phone------PBX------Asterisk Server------Cisco Router

This would work for sure, but depends a little on what exactly you mean.

If the Cisco's are merely acting as Routers, then it could be viewed as
simply as this:

Phone-PBX-Asterisk--IAX--Asterisk-PBX-Phone

If the Routers are doing VPN, then there is no difference as far as
Asterisk is concerned.

If the routers are doing NAT, then be a little careful with the
configurations, but it /should/ work.

If the router is being used as a SIP or H.323 gateway, then it /should/
also work, but would seem to be a lot more complex!

Good luck!
Fran