[Asterisk-Users] RE: PID

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Jan 15 21:22:56 MST 2004

On Thursday 15 January 2004 20:02, T. Chan wrote:
> I have a fast question, I am running a few Asterisk systems, but I
> just noticed one thing quite peculiar. After I started
> "safe_asterisk", and when I ran PS or TOP, I could see 1 PID
> "safe_asterisk" and almost 10 PIDs "asterisk -vvvg -c" even when
> there was no call. However, for the other couple, I started
> "safe_asterisk" and when I ran PS or TOP, I could see 1 PID
> "safe_asterisk" and only 1 PID "asterisk -vvvg -c", they are all with
> Pentium Xeon chip and 512M RAM, no difference in Hardware, and all
> running the same version of Asterisk on Redhat 7.3.

safe_asterisk is simply a shell script to restart asterisk if it dies.
It does not, in itself, do anything related to telephony.

I'd find it extremely strange to find Asterisk running with only one
thread, unless you had loaded no resources and no channels, which
would make the process effectively useless.

-Tilghman