[Asterisk-Users] Hardware for Asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Jan 15 20:26:46 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 17:44, Chris Albertson wrote:
> --- calvis <calvis at itechgroup.com> wrote:
> >

> > I am real close to finalizing my hardware selection for my Asterisk
> > test
> > machine.   I am going to use the following hardware:
> >
> > Dell 400SC w\Red Hat 9.0
> >
> > 1 - 4 Port TDM40B Card (FXS)
> > 3 - Wildcard X100P Cards (FXO)
>
> It does not matter if the PC is a Del, Compaq or you built it yourself.
> What matters is the mother board that Del is using.  Find out
> if there is a way to assign each Digum card it's
> own interrupt.
>
> Don't bother with the RAID controller it will not work with Linux.
> but Linux has it's own RAID in software.

If you value your data, don't use software raid. If you value
performance don't use software raid. If you value uptime/stability don't
use any raid on IDE.

What matters as far as the computers being used is that you are unlikely
to get your hands on a real server class motherboard without having
bought it in a Dell or Compaq. It also matters as to the supporting
hardware. If the PSU isn't quality enough, then it doesn't matter what
motherboard you use. Dell doesn't want to deal with your system after
sales. They will put a few extra dimes into the PSU so it stays in shape
for a few more years. The companies you are most likely to purchase a
case from will usually expect you to not come after them if the PSU
fails. So why would they bother to spend the extra money to make the PSU
last longer.

Also Dell is more likely to have a part to fix your machine in the mail
within hours instead of you waiting till you can get to the store to
purchase your replacement part before RMAing the part and waiting the
couple of weeks for the replacement.

In general, you get what you pay for, and less so when you go bargain
hunting. It all comes down to the same old problem of figuring out what
your time and downtime are worth.