[Asterisk-Users] ultra-cheap asterisk box

Nicolas Gudino nicolas at house.com.ar
Thu Jan 15 11:52:43 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 14:31, Chris Albertson wrote:
> I'm looking to do about the same thing, build very low cost
> systems.  (I'm looking at putting Asterisk at some
> non-profit organizations.)   but one thing you can't make
> a compromise on is reliabilty.  It has to work and keep working
> for years to come.  I was able to keep the price of a new PC
> to about $300 ad still use an ASUS mainboard and an AMD XP2600+
> The trick is to add absolutly nothing not needed.  No floppy,
> no CDROM so you can run off a 200W P/S.  Next I'll experiment
> with a notebook sized IDE disk drives and to see if _underclocking_
> the CPU reduces it's power comsumption enough that we can save
> one fan.

I'm also looking at this. I was thinking on a system without a hard
drive, booting from a pendrive or flashdive. I want to avoid moving
parts, they always break or get dirty and are noisy. If there are other
people working on this, we might join efforts and work together and came
up with a small linux version with asterisk included, that can boot from
a pendrive or a cdrom.

--
Nicolas Gudino <nicolas at house.com.ar>
House Internet S.R.L.