[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on FreeBSD 4.9?

C. Maj cmaj at freedomcorpse.info
Wed Jan 14 17:02:59 MST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, asterisk at lists.styx.org waxed:

> On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 07:34:20AM -0500, Troy Settle wrote:
> >
> > I'm not completely conversant on how GPL software can be committed to
> > the kernel, but I believe it can be done under the contrib/ directory.
> >

> I think the *BSD kernel device drivers should be BSD
> licensed. BSD and Linux device drivers are different
> enough that this can probably be done without re-using
> code, so shouldn't be a big problem. There is also
> precedent with EXT2FS support for GPL drivers being
> included (in /usr/src/sys/gnu on FreeBSD), but it will
> be much easier if the drivers are BSD licensed.

If the drivers are that different, perhaps the old Zapata
Telephony BSD drivers might help as a starting point ?  They
look very well-documented in the source, but some of it is
in Mexican:

    http://www.zapatatelephony.org/

I think the GPL'd Asterisk Zaptel stuff has its roots in that
code.  I confess to knowing nothing about BSD drivers, tho.

--Chris

--

Chris Maj <cmaj_hat_freedomcorpse_hot_info>
Pronunciation Guide:  Maj == May