[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on FreeBSD 4.9?

Jason T. Nelson jtn at jtn.cx
Wed Jan 14 13:07:40 MST 2004

In our last exciting episode, Steven Critchfield (critch at basesys.com) said:
> Homogamy is the sign of weakness in nature. If you are that homogeneous,
> one kind of attack could potentially take out all your servers. If we
> also took that same type of argument as enough reason, it would be
> enough to need to support windows.

The same could be said about people who have privately or in the past told
me to stop "playing" with FreeBSD and just use Linux. Either way, I am
not only comfortable with FreeBSD (and NetBSD and OpenBSD as well, for that
matter), but I honestly believe it is a more stable and better all around
solution for my requirements. Note, this is not a request to engage in an OS
holy war :)

My initial concern was why there was little or no attempt to worry about
making Asterisk more friendly to other UNIX-like operating systems (what
some people refer to as Linux-isms present in the codebase).

> Anyways, learn on linux. It is free software, and once you have figured
> out how to run it adequately and still feel the need to run under
> freebsd, you may know enough to figure out what the differences are and
> be able to help those who had been patching asterisk to run on other
> platforms.

I have already started playing with trying to figure out why Asterisk runs
so badly under FreeBSD, such as eating 100% of the CPU without warning
plus the decidedly non-standard directory structure (as far as FreeBSD's
hier(7) cares about).

--
Jason T. Nelson <jtn at jtn.cx>                     http://www.jtn.cx/~jtn/
BOFH Extraordiaire & Sysadmin Ombudsman               GPG key 0xFF676C9E