[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on FreeBSD 4.9?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Jan 13 14:03:56 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 11:24, Jason T. Nelson wrote:
> In our last exciting episode, Tilghman Lesher (tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com) said:
> > I want you to look at the headers of my reply and note that I'm running
> > my mail client on FreeBSD.
> >
> > Now my advice:  run your Asterisk server on Linux.
>
> First, a disclaimer: this is not mean to be flame-bait nor is it an attempt
> at trolling.
>
> Why this attitude? There are plenty of us out there who do not wish to bring
> a Linux server into our enterprise for a variety of reasons (lack of
> familiarity, desire to retain homogeneous environment, etc) that would
> love to be able to use Asterisk under FreeBSD. I've browsed the archives
> and perceived what appears to be a slightly hostile attitude towards those
> who ask about Asterisk support of other free operating systems even without
> using Digium hardware. Is this Linux-specific bias intentional or accidental?

Homogamy is the sign of weakness in nature. If you are that homogeneous,
one kind of attack could potentially take out all your servers. If we
also took that same type of argument as enough reason, it would be
enough to need to support windows.

Anyways, learn on linux. It is free software, and once you have figured
out how to run it adequately and still feel the need to run under
freebsd, you may know enough to figure out what the differences are and
be able to help those who had been patching asterisk to run on other
platforms.