[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on FreeBSD 4.9?

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 10:15:52 MST 2004

The way to get this work done is in steps.  Some of these
steps will help everyone.  This is good as the more people
a step helps the more likely it is to get done.

1) First priority.  Make a GNU "Autotools" build system for
   Asterisk.  Thiat is one that uses a ./configure script
   There is a patch or "asterisk versin that
   does this already.  Priority #1 is to get this tested
   and into CVS.  It is an absolute pain in the but to
   support multiple platforms with this.  And the work
   is already done, except for testing and CVS checkin

   This work will help people wanting a Sun SPARC/Solaris
   or a Mac OSX version too.

   The GNU/Autotools build system allows a user to define
   $PREFIX which is where the packe will go.  The default
   is /usr/local just where is needs to be

2) Write the device drivers.  But FIRST re-organize them
   so the "guts" of the hardware specific stuff is not mixed
   up with the interface to the OS.  Get this re-organization
   to work under Linux first.

   This work will help the Linux users as newer versions of
   for Linux kernel come out.  Linus has said that he does
   not care if new kernels break drivers, we will need to
   livewith this.  Being multi-OS will help with being
   multi-kernel-version

3) IS there any BSD-specific stuff left?

Actually I'd like to eee Asterisk on Solaris.  If you want
a "five nines" system Solaris is almost there if you buy
the "right" SPARC hardware.  And you could likely fit a
dozen or so Digium cards 4 port T1 cards in a big Sun server

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Cell:   310-990-7550