[Asterisk-Users] T1 Sync clarification

dpobanz at hastingsutilities.com dpobanz at hastingsutilities.com
Mon Jan 12 22:09:05 MST 2004

Quoting "C. Maj" <cmaj at freedomcorpse.info>:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004,  John Brown (CV) waxed:
>
> > THank you.  Thats what I thought it should be.
> >
> > Off to call the telco and tell them they are mucked up.
>
> I'm wondering if I should do the same for my T400, as I seem
> to be getting similar errors.  Might not be just the telco.
> I set one span to 1, to sync off the telco, and the second
> to 0, since the clock is already set by the first span.  The
> other 2 spans are channel banks with sync set to 0.
>
> Does anyone else have 2 t1's plugged into their T400 ?  If
> so, how are they synced ?  This was just happening at night,
> but I lost the second span a dozen times already today, all
> within less than an hour earlier this afternoon.

I have 3 T1's plugged into my T400P, 1 to the telco and 2 to channel banks.

Basically a T400 has one clock. This clock will free run (internal clock) if
you have not told it to get timing from one of the incoming spans. Otherwise
it will set the clock to the incoming T1 line which has a sync of '1'. Should
this T1 be unavailable, the clock will be derived from the T1 with a sync of
'2'. If both 1 and 2 are not available then it will derive the timing from 3.
Again if the first 3 sync sorces are not available, it will look at 4.

Note that at any one time only 1 of the 4 T1s can be used for a clock.

Now, it is possible for you to have two telco T1's which do not have the same
timing. This is not real likely but possible. Should this happen, there is no
way to sync with both T1s at the same time. Only your telco could fix this.

--
Don Pobanz