[Asterisk-Users] ADSI. used beyond own phone network?

C. Maj cmaj at freedomcorpse.info
Mon Jan 12 20:14:30 MST 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Andrew Thompson waxed:

> I am curious. I understand that features can be pushed to an ADSI phone that
> make navigating your own voicemail easier, and for other internal things.
> But, does anyone push this data outside of their own phone network?
>
> Example: I am at home with my spiffy new ADSI compatible handset and dial up
> my bank, OneWorldBankingConglomerate. Would they be able to push me their
> menu? Button 1 for TeleBanking. Button 2 for New Accounts. Button 3 for
> Customer Service. Button 4 Check Verification, etc...
>
> Is there a protocol that supports this?

Yeah, ADSI :)

> Could it be passed in sideband somehow?

ADSI works on standard POTS lines.  You can hear it pop and
whistle.

> Would normal people actually buy phones to have access to this?

I think this is probably one of the original marketing goals
with ADSI.  Unfortunately, it didn't really take off.
Several numbers to call and download were posted about a
year ago to the list.  I think I got a few to work.  Might
check the archives.

> What kind of security implications would this have?

Probably the same as using DTMF when you call the bank to
check on your credit cards.  As long as everybody can be
trusted at the telco, you're probably fine.

--Chris

--

Chris Maj <cmaj_hat_freedomcorpse_hot_info>
Pronunciation Guide:  Maj == May