[Asterisk-Users] Re: More words for Allison

Cees de Groot cg at tric.nl
Mon Jan 12 10:50:52 MST 2004

 <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com> said:
>> I'm a land-lubber, but I think knots is a speed unit (like
>> Miles Per Hour), so I think you want "knots" here, not "knots
>> per hour", if you are talking wind speed.
>>
>Then stick to being a land lubber.  Because you're wrong.
>
>A knot is a unit of linear measurement.

Hmm, I was under the impression too that knots is a speed measurement.
And trusty old 'units' seems to agree, it has the definition:

knot                    nauticalmile / hr

and

nauticalmile            1852 m

And thus:

% units
You have: km/hour
You want: knot
    * 0.5399568
    / 1.852

Wikipaedia seems to agree: http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knot_(nautical)

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.tric.nl     <cg at tric.nl>
tric, the new way           helpdesk/ticketing software, VoIP/CTI,