[Asterisk-Users] A question on codec translation.

Tom Lowe tom at comprotech.com
Mon Jan 12 06:45:21 MST 2004

If the incoming and outgoing Codecs are the same, there is no
"conversion" done.  It basically becomes a packet relay, what goes in,
comes out.

I'm not sure of the answer to your second question.  However, your
question actually begs a question I've been wondering about in the last
couple of days:

I'm doing H.323 in, H.323 out....simple relay.  (This is my customer's
requirement...not my preference).  What I want to do is ALWAYS use the
same codec for the outgoing leg as for the incoming leg.  In other
words, if the call comes in as G.729, the outgoing call uses G.729 ONLY.
If the incoming call is G.711, I want the outgoing to be G.711.   I want
to avoid any sort of transcoding.

Is it possible?

Thanks.

Tom Lowe

(FYI, Dual Xeon 3.06, 120 channels (60 calls) of above scenario, G.729
using less than 10% CPU!)  (Remember, no transcoding is being performed)