[Asterisk-Users] Free Software or not -- that's the question /* New subject */

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 01:00:57 MST 2004

Anyone who does not like the fact that all code must be
"disclaimed", sent through Digum to CVS and that GPL'd
code can't go in can fix that problem.  All you need to
do is copy the current CVS and use that to start your
own project.  You can call it "Asterisk Prime" or "Star"
and make up your own rules within the limits of the GPL.

So there, if you want the rules changed _you_ can change
them.  But I'll bet you don't want the rules changed so badly
that you would go to that much trouble.  I and I assume
most everyone here whould rather put up the way it is than
duplicate Mark's efforts

--- Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 18:47, asterisk at lists.styx.org wrote:
>
> > I have always been suspicious of centralized control and
> dictatorship,
> > benevolent or otherwise. After thinking for some time about the
> > licensing structure of code for Asterisk, I am not sure that
> > their motives are so innocuous and altrusitic, or at least
> > this is not reflected so well in the fine print. After learning
> > that "all code must pass through Mark", I am even less sure.
> > It means that Digium remains in a position of control and
> > dominance over what is ostensibly communal property.
>
> I seem to remember at one point that all code in the official linux
> kernel had to go though Linus. Did we suffer? I don't think so. All
> code
> going through Mark isn't a bad thing. If you look through the cvs
> logs,
> you might see there are 3 or so commiters right now. I know jeremy is
> able to commit, but I think he is limited(probably self imposed) to
> the<SNIP>

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com