[Asterisk-Users] A question about Linux kernels and Asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Jan 9 07:47:58 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 05:08, WipeOut wrote:
> I know nothing about building custome kernels so if these are stupid
> questions then tell me.. :)
>
> I am guessing that since the kernel can be built with all sorts of
> options and settings.. So is there anything in the kernel setup that
> could be used to make a custome kernel that would be optimised for use
> with asterisk and make it better able to process the codec operations
> and RTP streams?? or is it all about as optimal as its going to get in
> the standard kernels that come with various distros..
>
> The thinking came from a post that I saw a while ago that said that the
> Fedora kernel was far better with Asterisk than the RH9 kernel..

The basic wisdom about a kernel is to use as few pieces in it as
possible. If you can get away with stripping it down to bare minimum
then you have removed sections of low non-swappable memory from ever
firewalling so you can protect your system better plus get your RTP out
with priority.

I can't comment on Fedora vs. RH9 versions of the kernel as I personally
won't ever run one unless I am hog tied to some special driver whose
creator pushes binary only packages against one of those pre made
kernels. I prefer the bone stock kernel.org sources, but that is just a
preference.