[Asterisk-Users] 911 and lawsuits and redundancy

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Jan 8 08:53:42 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 09:31, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> > My take on redundancy is to use a real server with disk mirroring and
> > redundant power supplies.
>
> That's hardly redundant.  What if you lose a disk controller?  Or any part
> of the motherboard?  Or CPU?  Power supplies can and have failed in ways
> that manage to take out system components.  :-)

While that is true, redundant PSUs are less likely to take out other
components on it's way out as each of the PSUs have to monitor
themselves to detect when they have a failure. You still have to be able
to swap them out before you loose your redundancy though.

SCSI controllers shouldn't get spooked by drive failures. Just choose
good controllers. This can be difficult as you find out that even
Adaptec has been known to have controllers that don't work well under
some loads in linux. Dell has a mailing list that basically is devoted
to the fixing of the card/driver for one of their RAID controllers.