[Asterisk-Users] Cisco to Cisco - poor quality

Terence Parker terence at parker.com.hk
Wed Jan 7 18:38:34 MST 2004

I have managed to find time to have another go at the Cisco phones -
alas, I am still having problems with Cisco to Cisco calls.

Just to re-cap (it's been a few days!) i'm using Cisco 7960's and have
tried setting both phones to different codecs (tried default g729a,
g711alaw, and g711ulaw). Also, the other observations that have been
made:

- Problem is one-way. One side hears me clearly ; I don't hear the
other side clearly at all (5% audible only).
- Calls to MSN are fine (two way conversation is crystal clear)
- Calls to a Zultys Zip2 SIP phone is also perfectly clear.
- All these three tested over the same network and same VPN (call
between Hong Kong and USA).
- Cisco to Cisco calls worked fine with Vocal.

If Cisco is able to talk fine with other devices, there should not be a
problem with bandwidth or my network. However, I am finding it quite
bizzarre that Cisco is unable to talk to itself. The problem shouldn't
be VAD or the like - even if I talk non-stop, or the other guy does, I
get the same problem.

I attach a copy of my Cisco phone configuration for reference. I have
even recently upgraded my phone firmware - but no luck.

Platform : Cisco IP Phone 7960
Elasped Time: 08:11:26

dhcp_server : 192.168.8.254
my_ip_addr : 192.168.8.83