[Asterisk-Users] yet another question on DID trunks

john lawler maillist at tgice.com
Wed Jan 7 12:38:21 MST 2004

Hey Steven,

Sorry to bother you yet again w/ a question on my seemingly endless
quest to get DID trunks setup for a customer.

If you don't know anything about this issue or would rather I looked
elsewhere (including the Asterisk list, I suppose), please just let me
know right off the bat.  I'm having great difficulty finding good
resources on the web that explain this technology.

I'm still trying to examine a DID solution for this customer but don't
understand how a single trunk (whatever that is--I assumed just a single
pair of wires like a POTS line, but I'm thinking now it must not be) can
support multiple (incoming) phones calls.  I've also been told how many
phone calls per trunk depends on your equipment.  Do you know anything
about equipment that interfaces with DID trunks?  Are there special
devices that do this?  I think I've heard about FXS port devices
supporting DID.  But how could a single FXS port (say on a channel bank,
or even one of the Digium PCI FXS cards) support multiple
conversations?  Asterisk would certainly just see it as a single channel.

Anyway, those are the questions I've got at the moment based on my
(lacking) understanding of how DID (and other) trunks operate.  I've got
two Digium T1 cards, a Rhino Equipment FXS channel bank and a Carrier
Access channel bank w/ 2 - 12 port FXO cards in it.  And I'm just about
ready to start testing that system, but I want to determine the
additional difficulty + cost of using DID trunks for inbound calls
instead of POTS lines.  Oh, and the other disclaimer is, fractional T1
is not an option for me, so these'd have to be "analog" DID trunks, or
whatever the default way of receiving them is.

Thanks a bunch for your help, and please refer me elsewhere if you don't
have the time for this query.

jl