[Asterisk-Users] Doorbells & Door Intercoms

Adthrawn adthrawn at adthrawn.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jan 6 14:45:32 MST 2004

Hi,

Does anybody know of a VoIP compatible doorbell or door intercom unit?

I've contemplated buying a cheap SIP phone, ripping it apart, and
putting it inside an IP66 sealed unit...

It would need:

- At least one speed-dial key, or some way to make every button dial
the same extension number
- PoE (power over ethernet), so I can power it off the central switch
- cheap enough to rip apart

Any ideas?

Also, is there anyway in the Asterisk config, to ensure anything dialed
from the phone in turn just dials a specific extension?

What I'm thinking: Door bell button rings extension 8888, which rings
all phones. Caller ID is "Front Door Entry" or whatever, and the
Cisco's Dial Plan has a doorbell chime as the ring tone for this
specific extension filter (so 8888 has it's own ring tone). There is a
time out of 5 to 10 seconds, which represents the time it takes for a
normal doorbell to chime and stop.

Now, the intercom bit... If I want to find out who it is before running
downstairs, I simply pickup my receiver and ask them. Otherwise, I just
leave it and the ringing stops, and the call is terminated.

Also, if I want to find out who is outside, I can just dial a special
number, say 8889, and I connect to the phone outside. Now, can the
phone be set to automatically pickup a call?! Or perhaps, If I find a
Cisco 7940 with a damaged case on eBay, I can rip it apart, and then
use the SIP/SCCP Intercom feature on that phone only?!

Does this sound sensible/achievable?!

Best,
Ad.