[Asterisk-Users] 911 and lawsuits

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Jan 6 12:05:51 MST 2004

The question wasn't that someone had problems with asterisk, but was
asking a question all consultants eventually have to think about. If you
touch someone else's hardware, you are now playing a risk game. The
risks are that you haven't clued your customer in fully on what to
expect and therefore they think they are getting more than they they
are. The risk is that you may not have written a tight proposal that
limits what your customer could expect for the cash laid out. You also
are risking that someone has an industrial accident as the power failed
due to construction or storm and it wipes out the phone lines.

All of this comes under the heading of risk management. One way of
reducing exposure to risk is to have clients sign waivers that prove
they are aware of the risks that they are assuming. This even allows the
customer to make a informed descision as to whether the cost difference
is worth it to them. After that, there is insurance. I understand
Insurance is a very British thing, basically the business of gambling
and spreading of risk.