[Asterisk-Users] Multi-line help

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Jan 6 09:23:45 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 09:42, Sean Garland wrote:
> Thank you all for your responses.  Since I was a phone installer
> (previous life) and installed Lucent Partner and Merlin systems, I was
> on the key system mode of thinking.  On the Polycom phones each line
> button is a registration, so I wonder how I could program a SIP
> registration to speed dial a number? Would that be done through
> exten.conf like:
>
> [button2]
> Exten => 1,dial(zap/g1/5551212)

Button 2 would have some form of instant connect to asterisk, then in
the context it comes in you would have.
[button2]
exten s,1,dial(blah/blah)

Conversely, your phone may support the extra information such as the
extension to dial in it's config.

> So then, carrying over to key system terms, I would basically be setting
> up line pool buttons...  Basically with my small office (2 phones, and
> one * box with 2 x100p cards) I would just use the first button (or
> whatever) for my registration with my * and call it good...
>
> I am thinking of proposing this system to my partner corp which would
> entail around 13 extensions and 6 lines...  How would I give someone
> upstairs the ability to view if each user was on the phone or not?  <--
> should probably be a new thread....  Currently they have 18 button
> phones that are programmed with the incomming lines, then the users
> (LED's glow when user is on).

If you use gastman, you not only know what lines are in use, but who is
on each one, and whether the call was incoming or outgoing along with
CallerID or called number for the calls. You also will have the option
of grabbing a call and dumping it on any other user you choose even if
it is currently in progress.