[Asterisk-Users] Hardware to build an Enterprise AsteriskUniversal Gateway

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 5 03:17:56 MST 2004

Nicolas Bougues wrote:

>On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:38:16PM +0000, WipeOut wrote:
>

>>Also a failover system would typically only be 2 servers, if there were
>>a cluster system there could be 10 servers in which case five 9's should
>>be easy..
>>

>Err, no. five 9s is *never* easy.
>
>Does your telco provide you with SLAs that make five 9s reasonable at
>all ?
>
>Do you really need five 9s ? There is no such thing I'm aware of in
>enterprise grade telephony. You have to go to "carrier grade"
>equipment, which asterisk, and PCs in general, are definetly not aimed
>at.

Granted five 9's is never easy but in a cluster of 10+ servers the
system should survive just about anything short of an act of God..

Maybe, as mentioned eariler, a more realistic goal for Asterisk is three
or four 9's.. Three 9's could probably be achived already on a single
server with RAID and hot swap power so four 9's is probably a good
target to go for..

Later..