[Asterisk-Users] Sun Servers with UltraSparc Processors

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sun Jan 4 19:57:53 MST 2004

On Sunday 04 January 2004 20:25, Adthrawn wrote:
> The Wiki and the Whitepaper just state that Asterisk is for the x86
> architecture, but has been compiled to run on PPC architectures. No
> mention of UltraSparc. If I can get it compiled, what would I be
> loosing in terms of functions or what problems might I face?

You shouldn't face any problems with endianness.  In fact, the core
code should probably work right out of the box.  However, the drivers
for the hardware, if you ever wanted to use them, might be a problem.
I say might, because I really don't know that architecture.

> Would other 3rd party code (add ons and bolts on) work too, are these
> tied to platforms, or just to Asterisk itself?

No, 3rd party code with the possible exception of any drivers should
work just fine.

And I think it's excellent that you're thinking about doing this in the
lab, first, and not buying your production machines without testing,
first.  There've been a few users who jump a little too fast, then get
disappointed when their first machines didn't always perform to their
expectations.

-Tilghman