[Asterisk-Users] Sun Servers with UltraSparc Processors

Adthrawn adthrawn at adthrawn.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Jan 4 19:25:44 MST 2004

Hi,

I'm just considering buying two Telecoms grade Sun Netra's to run a
lab-based VoIP solution. Not my immediate thoughts as a VoIP platform,
but from what I've heard, they can run Linux, and run it well.

Only thing is:

The Wiki and the Whitepaper just state that Asterisk is for the x86
architecture, but has been compiled to run on PPC architectures. No
mention of UltraSparc. If I can get it compiled, what would I be
loosing in terms of functions or what problems might I face?

Would other 3rd party code (add ons and bolts on) work too, are these
tied to platforms, or just to Asterisk itself?

I've not got long to decide about the machines - so any feedback would
be most welcome!! And directly too if possible!!!

Finally, will ISDN4Linux run on an UltraSparc version of Linux? My
intention is to stick a dual ISDN BRI card into each (2x ISDN lines on
each card, or 4x "B-Channels" in total).

I've had trouble trying to find decent second-hand/refurbished or new
rackable servers within the research budget that can even be considered
usable! These are the first machines that have a high spec, and are
designed for the Telecom's industry.

Best,
Ad.