[Asterisk-Users] Modem Communications thru *

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun Jan 4 09:03:35 MST 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 05:33, fred alexander wrote:
> Happy New Year,
>
> I have a project to pass modem calls through * convert
> them from IP to X.25 and then allow the modems at each
> end to talk thru the rtp stream to each other before
> calling modem terminates the call.
>
> Datamodem --- FXS(non *) ---- ADSL  --- *
> -----Software Application ---- X.25 ---- modem
>
> While the above occurs I also wish to capture the data
> stream and also parse selective parts of these
> transactions into a database.
>
> My questions are:
>
> Should I start trying with G.711 (the modem speed is
> 1200Baud)?
> I want to use monitor app. to capture the voice stream
> and later convert it using text to speech?
>
> I don't control the modems and part of the stream is
> encrypted the rest is just text - strings and numbers

Do you really know what you are asking? You say you have a modem
connection, and then you say you want to use text to speech?

Your problem will be related to the fact that a modem call over a VoIP
is not necessarily stable. If you only need 1200, I'm sure you might be
able to discuss with Steve Underwood about changing the tx/rx fax app to
be a modem only app. At that point you could dial in to a local port
with a software modem, convert to your text string, and send it to the
other side. On the other side you can then push that though another
software modem to the line out.

Just remember that G711 uses around 80K bandwidth to send 1200.