[Asterisk-Users] sound driver advise needed

Steve Murphy murf at e-tools.com
Thu Jan 1 21:48:36 MST 2004

Hello--

How do I twiddle the sound drivers?

I'm not that experienced with kernel twiddling and driver loading. I
have Redhat 9. My previous attempts to play with the kernel and load
extra drivers always ended with a new kernel that wouldn't boot.

I know asterisk doesn't like to play with sound interfaces that aren't
full duplex. So, when I built the
system, I saw the MSI motherboard didn't explicitly say the sound chips
were full duplex, so I threw
in a Soundblaster PCI card, that DID advertise full duplex.

Trouble is, asterisk only sees the brain-dead interface. How do I
exorcise it from the kernel, or at least make the SB the first-priority
one?  rmmod didn't seem to do anything. Playing with the Redhat sound
card detection stuff was useless. I've googled around the internet,
looking for tidbits, but nothing seems applicable. RedHat 8 Bible wasn't
very helpful.  Not much in the kernel source dirs, either, nor in the
source for the sound drivers.

Anybody have some experience with this sort of thing? It'd be neat to
put together an announcement functionality.

Any advise? Many thanks,

murf