[Asterisk-Users] after hours - is this logic ok ?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Jan 1 16:11:36 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 12:45, Lance Arbuckle wrote:
> For example, if I want to implement feature xyz, currently I go googling
> and read, read, read.  I may come up with two or three sample contexts
> that accomplish the same thing via different means.  All I can do now is
> pick one of the examples and modify to my needs without any regard to
> the pros and cons of each example.  Now, I *try* to post intelligently
> phrased questions to this list but after seeing some of the threads the
> past few days, I'm hesitant to post the "how do I implement this?"
> questions for fear of being flamed to death :( or getting the standard
> "Google is your friend" responses.  What would be a great help to me and
> possible other beginners, is whenever a question is asked of the list,
> answer.  Or, if there is another resource that talks in generalities
> about how to do thing in Asterisk, please, I beg the list, to tell me
> where it is :)

First, one can not be flamed to death on a mailing list.

Secondly, it sounds like you have questions that would ask for
clarification of what has been read in the archives. This actually is a
good thing. If you read the ESR page about how to ask a question, it
tells you how to effectively ask a question is such a way you are likely
to get the answers you want. You already seem to be well on your way to
understanding how to ask these questions. Basically it boils down to
showing that you have done some research yourself, explain the problem
you are trying to solve, explain either how you are attempting to solve
it, or in your case the two methods you think will solve your problem.
At this point you have documented your effort, and proved you are trying
to help yourself.  This helps as it gives plenty of information about
where you are currently in your understanding of asterisk, so answers
given can be tailored a bit to cover anything you may appear lacking at
the time to solve your problem.

Most of us won't hold a grudge from one message to the next unless you
make similar mistakes after being warned. Even then, you may not have
any residuals from the last message. So even if you get flamed once or
twice, it doesn't diminish you in this community. I'm sure your parents
yelled at you many times as you grew up, yet you knew they loved you. We
usually will still accept you and help you even if we argue with you,
and even if we flame you.