[Asterisk-Users] Re: Outgoing parallelism

Bill Michaelson bill at cosi.com
Sun Feb 29 09:49:47 MST 2004

Thanks, Scott.  I'm in a general exploration mode, but I do have a small
broadcast application in mind.  My limited experimentation leads me to
suspect that there is no queue management at all.  I was testing with
only a single call file just minutes ago, and the system tried to redial
the destination as a retry (60 second interval had been spec'ed), even
though the first call was still in progress!

I suppose I will have to manage throttling with some kind of completely
external process, which is likely to be cumbersome.  For the immediate
application, and given my current facilities, single threading will be
adequate (and necessary), but from what I've seen, even this could be
challenging.  If I put together anything generally useful, I'll share it.

From: "Scott Stingel" <scott at evtmedia.com>

Hi Bill-

I've built some load testers for asterisk, using the outgoing call facility.

It's been a little while, so you may want to test this yourself, but I
recall finding a couple of problems:

(a) I don't think it manages queuing very well if there are a limited amount
of outbound resources.  For example (again, from memory), if you define a
group ("g9" for example) of two lines for use in outbound calling, it works
fine if the number of outbound calls to be made at any moment never exceeds
2.  A third call file in this example, will be grabbed by asterisk, but will
fail immediately.  So I had to create a mechanism in my Perl script to
ensure that the outbound calls actually completed - no easy feat since I
couldn't tell when that occurs from the perl script too easily.

(b) There was a problem dumping more than about 12-15 outbound calls at once
in the outgoing directory, even if there were plenty of channels available
to make the calls.  Asterisk would grab them but would not process some of
them. This is a load-testing scenario, and not too common I realise, but
something to be aware of.  It didn't seem to matter if I switched to a more
powerful processor.

These problems occurred using a December release of asterisk - maybe they
are fixed now??

Please let me know if you are doing any load testing, and I'll send you some
simple scripts if you like.

The outgoing facility works fine at lower call volumes, if you stagger the
creation of the files in the outgoing directory.