[Asterisk-Users] Remote retrieval of voicemail, a question

Brian Buhrow buhrow at lothlorien.nfbcal.org
Fri Feb 27 08:52:22 MST 2004

	Hello.  I'm running an asterisk system where the voicemail box numbers
match the extensions to which they belong.  The phone numbers from the PSTN
which access the system are mapped to specific extensions, and if there's
no answer, they forward to their respective mailboxes so callers can leave
messages for the owners of the extensions.  Without adding an additional
"voicemail only" access number from the PSTN, I would like owners to be
able to call their extensions and retrieve their messages through the PSTN.
I've looked at the app_voicemail.c file in the Asterisk source tree, and I
see how to do it with a source code change, i.e. allow the user to press "*"
while the outgoing message is playing, and jump to voicemailmain and
proceed to do generic voicemail authentication.  However, I'm wondering if
there's a way to do the same thing, that I've not thought of, which can be
done without modifying the source code itself, i.e. through configuration
changes in either voicemail.conf, extensions.conf, or through some other
mechanism I've not thought of.
	I'm assuming here, that what I want is something others wanted before
me, and that they've found a solution of which I'm not aware.  Can anyone
enlighten me?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
-Brian