[Asterisk-Users] E911 support

John Fraizer tvo at enterzone.net
Thu Feb 26 14:31:41 MST 2004

Steve Dolloff wrote:
> I have the following in my sip.conf entries:
>
> callerid="Anonymous" <8885551212>
>
> This still passes the number for 911, but flags the call as private.  I
> believe this will meet your requirements.
>
> Stephen

OK.  I was under the impression that the PSAP got their information based on
ALI/ANI and not from CLID.  Are you telling me that they're looking at CLID?

Also, at least in the testing I've done, the text portion of the CLID string
is ignored by the telco.  They only look at the number and generate the text
based on what is in their database.  IE; If I tell my asterisk server to set
my callerID to "test" <my home number> and call someplace, What I get on the
  CLID display of the phone I dial is "John Fraizer" and my home number.

Since Powell has stated that we must provide E911 services, I am wondering
what precisely is going to have to be done to do so with Asterisk.  Routing
the call to the PSAP when someone dials 911 is the easy part.  Sending all
of the information they want/need (much more than just CLID and something
that is regulated) is an alltogether different story.

John