[Asterisk-Users] Simple Front Gate Intercom

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Thu Feb 26 09:51:49 MST 2004

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:16:19AM -0500, Jon Pounder wrote:
>>
>> (at my door you can knock, ring a doorbell, or pick up the door phone -
>> you would be surprised how many people knock. Probably there are some
>> that
>> are scared off entirely that I don't even know about.)
>
> It seems to me that placing a standard analog phone out there would be
> the cheapest way around this issue (which seems to be what you just
> explained to me). I already have the junker phone, and it's configured
> to ring distinctively when the handset is raised. I can also dial it and
> ring the phone, like you said.

yeah and if it gets wet, or vandalized - $10 and it is replaced with a
brand new one with some new feature yet for the same price.

> But... my wife wants an "intercom." So, I'll probably hunt down one of
> those nice, 200-dollar Viking jobs that's basically a telephone that
> looks like an intercom. Best of both worlds. The only ouch is the
> stinkin price tag.

I hear ya. I am starting to really take the non-environmentally friendly
approach that no matter how much you pay for something you have the same
odds of problems, and it is a lot easier decision to just toss it when it
is the cheapest thing you could find in the first place.

For example would we even be having this conversation if we both had
bought nortel switches ?

BTW - on the wife issue - I USED to have a wife like that too :)