[Asterisk-Users] Grandstream transfer into outer space

Michael T Farnworth mtf at maximasystems.com
Thu Feb 26 09:20:45 MST 2004

Jim Rosenberg wrote:
> The Grandstream BudgeTone 101 phone has a Transfer button. This appears to
> be a "blind" transfer: once you've dialed the extension to which you want
> to transfer, the phone tries to do this and then "dumps you out".

You also get similar trouble if people press the transfer button, but
forget to press 'send' at the end (certainly I find the calls are not
transferred until 'send' is pressed, or maybe they just take a little
while).

The big problem is that with the sometimes unreliable budgetone keyboard
you tend to lose the call due to mistyped numbers.  To avoid this you
could create some catch-all extensions that automatically forward calls
back to reception (or your voicemail system).  Something like:

exten => _[0-9],1,Goto(s,1)
exten => _[0-9][0-9],1,Goto(s,1)

Unfortunately this then prevents you from using # in such a way that it
warns you if you type an invalid extension.

This sort of system could be further improved.  You could set an
extension number variable on incoming calls to record the extension
which answered the call.  Then when a call is transferred to an
otherwise invalid extension you wait a few seconds (give them time to
put the phone down) and then call the extension number given in the
variable.  I leave this as an exercise to the reader ;-)

Michael

--
Michael T Farnworth
Maxima Systems Ltd (http://www.maximasystems.com)