[Asterisk-Users] Simple Front Gate Intercom

Greg Kedrovsky greg at iglesia-del-este.com
Thu Feb 26 08:04:52 MST 2004

I've searched several times for help on configuring a front gate
intercom through Asterisk, but I haven't come across anything. If this
is a repeat post (as well it could be due to the amount of traffic this
list experiences), sorry.

In a nutshell: Can I use Asterisk to hook up an intercom at my front
gate? My wife would like to have one of those simple
"speaker/microphone" intercoms. People show up at our front gate, press
the doorbell, it rings in the house. We pick up a phone on my Asterisk
system and dial (example) 105 to connect to the intercom and say, "Who's
there?" The dipweed at the gate leans forward, and speaks into the same
speaker he heard the voice come from and says, "Joe Sixpack."

I have a very simple SOHO set-up: one incoming line (x100p) and a 4-port
TDM400P. I run 3 phones in the house (office, bedroom, downstairs). The
4th port is what I would like to use for the front gate. I have my whole
house (and front gate) cabled in Cat5e with RJ45 connectors (both data
and voice). I don't think hardware is an obstacle.

I have the 4th port set up now like the "Bat Phone." Pick up the
receiver on port 4 (channel 5 in my config) and it gives a distinctive
(Brit) ring on all other (3) phones. I figured I could buy an "outside"
phone (no dial pad) and just use that. But, my wife insists on an
"intercom." So... I need help.

Is this configurable in Asterisk? It seems to me that an intercom like
that would just be the same thing as an open phone line, no dial tone.
Then, we dial 105 (or whatever) to get the gate-com, and it opens the
line with the intercom to speak with the person wanting in.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Greg

--
Mutt 1.4.1i on Slackware 9.1 Linux