[Asterisk-Users] Comments on Voice Quality IP Hard Phones

Chris Tooley ctooley at ntrc.net
Wed Feb 25 11:37:05 MST 2004

        I've got several of the Polycom IP 500's as well.  I was using
snom 200's.      They were horrible speakerphones and the echo inside
the handset made it     almost unusable.  The 100 was completely
unusable.  For less than $60 per     phone more, I got a phone that I
have to spend less than half the time     working on.  Configuration is
completely config file controlled as opposed     to controlling the
phone from a webserver built into it.Chris Tooley

>>>mwless at mindworks.net 02/25 12:57 pm >>>
We implemented 21 Polycom IP 500 SIP phones in December and the voice
    quality with Ulaw is very good. We also use g729 and IAX to connect
two
sites together on DSL and voice quality sounds pretty good as well. No
one has complained yet.

The speaker phone is pretty good, and     occasionally on POTS calls
when
using the Handset we have echo for the     duration of the call. This
however, seems to be an issue with *     and not the IP 500's.

We also tell the receptionist to reboot her     phone daily, as the
transfer
feature will stop working occasionally,     but the reboot has remedied
the
problem.

Rgds,

Brent

Phones

>Want to add a little something     about the BG speakerphone. It is not
very
>loud,
>but it is     pretty good other than that. I have tested snom 100, snom
200,
>and
>siptones and BG is the only one that was remotely close to usable. The
    bg
>actually has a full duplex speakerphone which is not all the common
in
>lower
>cost unit. It is probably usable for a single     person in a fairly
quiet
>environment. I have the snom almost working     with the speaker but
since
it
>is
>half duplex and I have an     ajoining server room which creates a lot
of
>background noise the     remote end sound pops in and out.
>
>For a conferening phone     module I am looking at using and analog
Polycom
>SoundStation with a     sipura IP converter.
>

>--
>Jonathan Moore
    >Director of Technology
>Winfield Public Schools
>Office     620.221.5100
>Fax 620.221.0508
>

>Quoting Steve     <steve at szmidt.org>:
>
>>On Wednesday 25 February 2004 08:26     am, Peer Oliver schmidt wrote:
>>>Good day,
>>>
    >>>I am in the middle of getting my self some hard phones. Anyone
care
>>>to comment on the *voice* quality of the following phones:
>>>
>>>Cisco 7960
>>>Siptone II
>>>SNOM
>>>Budgetone
>>>
>>>I have seen a few reviews, but     none go to deep into the voice
quality
>>>issue.
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>rgds
>>>pos
    >>
>>I have Budgetone and the speaker phone is not the best but     the
handset
>>quality is quite OK. It does not support the full     audio spectrum
of a
>>phone so a deep voice will not come out quite     as deep. Other wise
it's
>>waay good for a $80 VoIP speakerphone.
>>
>>Actually, when I make a VoIP call coast to coast it's so quiet I
cannot
>>tell if the connection is up, but that's thanks to *.
>>--
>>
>>They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve
>>neither liberty nor safety.
    >>Benjamin Franklin

>Visit Winfield Public Schools at http://usd465.com
To UNSUBSCRIBE     or update options visit:

Networking Technologies Resource Center
8650 Spicewood Springs Rd Suite 108
Austin, TX  78759
Office:  (512)250-8985