[Asterisk-Users] Problem with SIP 407

Vic Cross vicc at veejoe.com.au
Wed Feb 25 06:34:05 MST 2004

G'day Marc,

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Marc Fargas wrote:

> I’m in trouble with SIP. I’ve got a SIP FXS gateway from www.micronet.info
> (SP5002/S) and traed to register to asterisk, It seems to autentícate but
> sniffing the net it shows a 407 proxy authen required error message and I
> cannot make any outgoing calls from that gateway.

I captured a flow between * and an ATA-186 the other day, because I had
the same problem (well, the symptom was the same).

The 407 message from * is part of the registration flow.  It tells the
client that it needs to resend its REGISTER, this time including a
"Proxy-Authentication" (sp?) header in the request.  That header contains
the authentication data (authuser, password).

I'd suggest getting into the network with ethereal or the like and start
sniffing the packet flow.  In my case, a hardware incompatibility was
preventing my client from receiving the 407 from *, so it never responded
to it...  (Getting a packet trace will also be essential in getting
further support, either from your FXS vendor or the SIP mavens on this
list.)

> I’ve tried putting ‘Domain’ = Asterisk on the FXS and other things, also
> played with codecs but everything seems to come from the 407 message, how
> can I avoid that message?

Well, you could try removing the password (secret=XXXXXXX) from the entry
in sip.conf, allowing the client to register without authentication.
Might be something to try, but I don't think I'd run live that way... ;-)

Cheers,
Vic Cross