[Asterisk-Users] g729, g723.1 codec translation costs

Dmitry Mishchenko arkadia at odessa.net
Fri Feb 20 03:39:37 MST 2004

Hello,

checking mail list regarding this topic I found people saying:

== Registered translator 'g729tolinb' from format 8 to 6, cost 99999
== Registered translator 'lintog729b' from format 6 to 8, cost 18

Does it mean that when some g729 compartible hardware is calling Asterisk box
and call should be connected to some softphone (e.g. SIP which supports GSM
codec only) it'll require ~ 99999 msec for one second translation?
It sounds like it is impossible to make such kind call.

Are these numbers right for current servers (lets say Pentium 4 based)?

Could somebody post their experience of using g729a codec from Digium.
I'm interested in resource requirements when codec translations performed.
Also its interesting to know how many simultaneous channels translated with
this codec and what kind of server hardware is used for this case.

Thanks,
Dmitry.