[Asterisk-Users] Woodpeckers

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Thu Feb 19 18:17:53 MST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, matt wrote:

> I would have thought that should have been gotten rid of...
>
> Notch filter would only get rid of the fundamental frequency unless you
> notch at the harmonics also.
>
> Best bet I would say is a high pass filter at say 500hz.
>
> Reasonably simple to make with a resistor and capacitor... I think Sound
> On Sound magazine (which has archives on the web) had an article on how
> to build one...
>
> The thing is, most of the codecs available in * should be high and low
> pass filtering it anyway...

My first thought was an RC filter, too. But I'd suggest that 500 Hz is too
high a cutoff, because a note like a middle C is 256 Hz. I don't think
it's uncommon for a voice (especially a male voice) to be in that range
frequently. Although (in English, at least) vowels generally have a low
frequency and sharp consonants (like a t) have a high frequency. It's the
consonants which do the most for understanding a word, so maybe having
those low frequencies attenuated wouldn't be so bad after all.

But as somebody else pointed out, a first-order RC filter probably
wouldn't attenuate quickly enough. By the time you get into a multi-order
filter, it's probably best to be doing it in software (since the signal is
going to be digitized anyway).

Greg