[Asterisk-Users] Woodpeckers

Michael Welter mike at introspect.com
Thu Feb 19 16:00:10 MST 2004

I live at 8000' in the Rockies.  We have lots of woodpeckers--they
especially love to drill 4" holes in the north side of my house.

They also like to drill on the arial telephone cables.  Water then gets
into the cable and causes a partial grounding on the circuits.  This
causes 60Hz hum to be heard on the line as well as a loss of amplitude.
  Qwest says tough s--t.

All three of my POTS lines have hum.  They are connected to an Adtran
750 and my asterisk system (a testbench for commercial endeavors.)

The hum has always been bad on my end.  Since I installed *, several of
my callers have remarked about the hum.

So here's the question:  Could a notch filter of sorts be installed in
the codecs I use?  Filter-out everything between, say, 55 and 65Hz?

Alternatively, is there a feature on the Adtran FXO card that deals with
this?

Thanks for your help,
Mike