[Asterisk-Users] Room Monitor

Jamin W. Collins jcollins at asgardsrealm.net
Thu Feb 19 11:42:10 MST 2004

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 10:28:09AM -0500, Walt Reed wrote:

> Hmm. Is it just me, or does this sound like a sledgehammer for a
> thumbtack kind of application?
>
> Radioshack has cheap intercoms that work fairly well. They have 900Mhz
> wireless and FM over powerline versions. Most cheap baby monitors are
> in the 27Mhz band which sucks and is very prone to static. They are
> also made for $3 in china with NO QA and horrible parts using 1970's
> technology.

Actually the baby monitors tend to be in the 47Mhz band, but yes they
still suck.  There are newer models in the 900Mhz and 2.4Ghz range.
However, reviews of the 900Mhz models are almost unanimous in declaring
them to be worse than the 47Mhz models.  While my experience with 2.4Ghz
phones indicates that they will trash most 802.11b networks.

So, I'm trying to move away from the wireless solution.  Mainly, due to
the interference between the two locations.

The three station FM solution looks promising.  That is if it can deal
with the stations being on different breakers within the same residence.

> You may also want to look at a better model of intercom.
> http://www.fisher-price.com/us/babygear/product.asp?id=17605&c=bgm
> Uses 900Mhz.

Several reviews of this model indicate severe static problems.

--
Jamin W. Collins