[Asterisk-Users] FXO gateways on Asterisk

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Feb 18 05:09:31 MST 2004

------------------------
  From: Clif Jones <ctjones at earthlink.net>
  Subject: [Asterisk-Users] FXO gateways on Asterisk
  Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 00:00:00 -0500
  To: asterisk users <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>

> I have been struggling with several mediocre SIP FXO gateways on
> Asterisk for the past
> 6 months and have found that each one has at least one major problem
> with it.  I am looking
> for any success stories using 1 to 4 port SIP FXO gateways on Asterisk.
> I need for them
> to support RFC2833 DTMF bridging each way and G729 codecs.  Multi-port
> FXO gateways
> need to have some sort of grouping and/or routing of SIP calls to
> specific channels.  So far,
> I have evaluated an Audiocodes MP-104 (4-port) and a Multitech MVP-130
> (1 port).
> If anyone has found something that works in these scenario's, I would
> love to hear from you.
> I want to deploy many small FXO gateways over a large geographical area
> and would
> like to find something that actually works.  Thanks for the help!

I'm somewhat in the same boat and have been evaluating the Mediatrix 1204
sip gateway. Although I've not tried these options to see if they actually
work, the following suggests the box supports your stated requirements:
 Select preferred port #1 codec.
 0 = G.711 u-Law (PCMU)
 1 = G.711 a-Law (PCMA)
 2 = G.723.1
 3 = G.729.AB

 DESCRIPTION "Attribute to select the type of DTMF transport.
 0 = In band
 1 = Out-of-Band using Signaling Protocol
 2 = Out-of-Band using RTP DTMF payload

So far my reseller has been able to find ways to accomplish everything that
I've bumped against in terms of implementation issues. The only remaining
issue that I'm currently having is when
 C7960 -> asterisk -> Mediatrix g/w
call is completed, when the C7960 user disconnects it sends the BYE to
asterisk, but asterisk "intermitently" does not send a BYE to the Mediatrix.
(Think you and I exchanged a couple of emails on this.) Since asterisk
was Dec 4th CVS, I updated code this past weekend and still have the exact
same problem. I need to research that further.

As of this moment in time (might change tomorrow), the 1204 seems to be about
the only 1-to-4 port sip g/w box on the market that is even close to being
reasonable. Rather spendy for what its really doing though.

Rich