[Asterisk-Users] Upgrading asterisk yields broken pipe

jimmy.gatt at zivva.com jimmy.gatt at zivva.com
Mon Feb 16 15:16:17 MST 2004

Hello list,

I am attempting to upgrade asterisk on a production box.  I have opted to set
INSTALL_PREFIX to /usr/local/asterisk-0.7.2 which is ugly (since it
makes /usr, /var, /etc directories in there), but I didn't want the new install
to overwrite my existing installation.

The new asterisk runs, but when a call tries to go through, I get six
of "Ouch ... error while writing audio data: : Broken pipe" errors, and then a
segfault.  Reading elsewhere, I have discovered that the error is coming from
mpg123.  The process table yields 6 mpg123 processes which appear to be playing
the on hold music ("onhold_low.mp3", "onhold_high.mp3", etc.)  Presently, I
don't know where to go.

1. I am trying to test a new compile of asterisk while retaining the ability to
revert to the old compilation.  Am I going about it the right way (by setting
the INSTALL_PREFIX to a different dir)?

2. If the answer to #1 is "yes", then what might be the problem with mpg123?