[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and Vonage -- possible? Other DID providers with Atlanta presence?

Steve Rodgers hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com
Sun Feb 15 15:01:32 MST 2004

Replacing the sip terminal for Vonage isn't possible. The terminal is locked
and will not allow access by the user to get the user/password info, and the
user/password handshaking is encrypted which prevents it from being spied
upon.

The only way this will work is if you plug the analog output of the SIP
terminal into an asterisk FXO card such as the X100p. I use this setup,
but it has the drawback exacerbating echo problems.

This issue is one of my personal pet peeves, but the ITSP's refuse to
allow direct access because thier paranoid about fraud in the form of
distributing user/passwords to multiple users.

I suppose if you were determined, you could gain access to and dissassemble
the firmware in the SIP box to try and get at the configuration info, but I
suspect it won't be easy unless you have lots of reverse engineering
horsepower at your disposal.

Steve.