[Asterisk-Users] Digium connectivity issue?

James Golovich james at wwnet.net
Sun Feb 15 12:04:22 MST 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, John Fraizer wrote:

> Brian West wrote:
> > But CVS was alive the whole time! ;)
> >
> > bkw
>
> Um, no it wasn't.
>
> For all practical purposes, *.digium.com was dead.  Why?  Because even
> though there is a second "cvs.digium.com" out there on a different network,
> the nameservers digium.com are both on the same network - the network that
> was down.  So, there was no way to actually get the addresses for
> CVS.DIGIUM.COM.

This is true, but no longer the case since other nameservers are now
setup.

> Both nameservers on the same /24 = bad.

Not to split hairs here, but this statement isn't necessarily true.  If it
read "Both nameservers on the same physical network" then it would be
true.  I've worked on systems that each of the 2 NS glue records were
actually /32s located on multiple servers around the country.  So even if
part of the network was down, multiple servers are always reachable.

Now lets return to our regular programming

James