[Asterisk-Users] Anybody going to the Spring VON converence [OT]

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Fri Feb 13 18:37:07 MST 2004

>I was wondering if anybody was planning on attending Jeff Pulver's Spring
>VON conference in Santa Clara.  I am thinking about going and was hoping, if
>enough Asterisk people are going to be there, if we couldn't hold some kind
>of ad hoc Astericon or something.  Perhaps we could rent a room at the hotel
>for an evening get together or something?  I know Mark will be there.  Might
>be kind of fun.
>
>Also, I am still trying to decide if I should go for the full conference or
>just a few days.  Any thoughts?
>
>Steve

I suspect I will be there, in some disguise or other.  This is a good
segue into the beer and chat session we had last night here at the
Internet Telephony Expo in Miami.  We had about 11 people show up,
and good chatter ensued.  Attendees included representatives from
several local Miami firms that use Asterisk, the folks from Snom (and
distributors), and some various riff-raff such as myself.

Thanks to Alex Lopez for the cruise directing to the ritzy rooftop
pool/lounge/art studio place overlooking Miami's skyline.

I extracted information from the Snom people that was very
interesting: they have a large-screen deskset phone which is coming
out shortly.  It's the 220, and it also has a programmable (SIP!!)
module that provides up to 65 keys.  And, perhaps the coolest
gee-whiz feature is that it supports the Alert-Info: header with a
URL that points to a sound file, so you can send custom ring tones
with EACH CALL, perhaps even doing pre-announce.  Cool.

JT